This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Single serving lemon meringue pies in a jar are the perfect dessert for the lemon lovers in your family. It is made with the same ingredients as a regular pie, but it is just a smaller version. We used 4 oz. mason jars for these little cuties since lemon meringue pie should be refrigerated. Putting the lids on them helps stack in the refrigerator.
Ingredients for mini lemon pie jars:
- Graham cracker crumbs
- egg yolks
- egg whites cream of tartar
Making mini lemon pie jars:
Make the graham cracker mixture by mixing the graham cracker crumbs with the sugar and salt. Then, add the melted butter and mix until it resembles wet sand (you can use the directions on the graham cracker package, if you want). Then, put about 1 Tablespoon of graham cracker crumb mixture into each mini jar. Tap it down with the back of a wooden spoon till the crumbs hold together. Now, set the jars in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
Now, make the lemon filling to put in the little mason jars. This can be made using our recipe for lemon curd or make a packaged lemon pudding. Make sure the pudding is cooked and not an instant lemon pudding. It is different from what you want in your lemon meringue jars.
Now, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar. When frothy, add the sugar and continue to whip until stiff and glossy. Then, top the small jars with meringue using a spoon or a piping bag. Broil until the meringue is a nice brown color.
Meringue is browned, just chill for a few hours and enjoy!Print
Mini Lemon Meringue Pie Jars
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 mins.
- Yield: 12 (4oz.) jars 1x
- Category: dessert
- Lemon curd recipe or package of lemon pudding and pie filling, do not use instant
- 1 ½ cups Graham cracker crumbs
- pinch salt
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 7 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 5 egg whites, room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
- ⅓-½ cup sugar, depending on how sweet you want it
graham cracker crust:
- Mix the graham crumbs in a bowl with salt and sugar.
- Now, add the melted butter.
- Add about 1 Tablespoon of crumbs into jars and pat down with the back of a spoon.
- Put into the refrigerator till everything is ready.
- Mix the lemon pudding mix in a bowl with package directions or use our lemon curd recipe.
- Add the pudding to the graham crackers in the jar.
- Let sit until the meringue is ready.
- Eat and Enjoy!
- Beat the egg whites with the salt and cream of tartar, till starting to form soft peaks.
- Add the sugar and whip until glossy and form stiff peaks
- Top the lemon pudding in the jar with the meringue.
- Put into a 400-degree oven until the meringue is golden brown. This should only take a few minutes.
If you can't buy graham cracker crumbs, you can make them by putting them in the Cuisinart and pulsing them. You can also put them in a zip lock bag and smack them until they are crumbs.
The lemon curd we use is tart and very lemony, if you want it sweeter, just add a little more sugar.
Keywords: lemon meringue pie