This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
We were in the mood for a nice, warm, stick to your ribs kind of dessert and we thought of apple crisp, because who doesn't like it? You take apples and mix them with great ingredients and they make them even better. The sugars gives the apples sweetness, and the brown sugar gives them a slight deeper flavor like caramel. Just add the extra spice of cinnamon that goes well with apples and the taste is going to be great!
The apples might be the star of this dish, but the crunchy goodness of a crisp topping gives it an extra level of goodness. Some flour, chopped pecans, and sugar mixed together with butter is something nobody can resist. At least not in this house.
To put this dish completely over the top, just top it with a cold scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle with some caramel syrup. The mixture of everything in this crisp is really good. Hope you can give it a try!
Start with chopped apples
We used seven apples: some granny smith, Gala and a tart apple. The Gala is a more sweet apple so they make this recipe taste just right. These were pretty large apples that we had, but sometimes, you have to use a few more smaller apples to reach 8 cups.
Ingredients for the apple filling
We used diced apples, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, apple juice, lemon juice, and salt for the apple filling.
Just add all of the ingredients to the apple and mix together. Make sure that everything is mixed in and no clumps of flour are in the bowl.
Put the apple mixture in 8 small but fairly deep ramekins and top with a small pad of butter for that delicious buttery flavor.
Ingredients for crisp topping:
To make the crunchy topping, you need flour, salt, sugar, and butter. All these ingredients make a really good topping.
To make the crunchy topping, just mix the flour, salt, and sugar all together. Then, add the chopped pecans for that extra crunch. Add the softened butter to the bowl and mix together with a fork or a pastry blender. You want the mixture to look like crumbs.
Put the ramekins or oven proof dishes in a pan. We lined ours with some tin foil for easy clean up, just in case the apples leaked onto the pan. Then, put them into a 350ºF oven for about 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
They are all baked now. You can see some of the juice from the apples seeping to the top on the edges; always a sign that it is done.
Once they are cooled down a little, just set ramekin on a small plate, top with ice cream and caramel syrup, and now, they are all done! Dig in!Print
- Prep Time: 20 mins.
- Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
- Total Time: 17 minute
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- 8 cups apples, about 7 large apples
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¾ cups butter, slightly softened
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- Peel the apples and cut into small chunks.
- Into the apples, add the sugars, salt, cinnamon, lemon juice, and apple juice and mix all together.
- Divide the mixture into 8 small but deep individual ramekins.
- Top each ramekin with a little pad of butter.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, salt, and sugar. Then, add the chopped pecans and mix well.
- Add the softened butter to the mixture, then use a fork or pastry blender and mix into crumbs.
- Top each ramekin with the flour mixture.
- Bake in a 350ºF oven for 40-45 minutes
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before eating.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some caramel syrup, then enjoy!
This is delicious served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzled over the top with caramel sauce