This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Luscious lemon just sounds good to say. Luscious lemon! Lemons are such a delight in many baked goods and is also added to savory dishes like chicken. Today, we used the plump lemons we had to make a delicious lemon cake roll. The slight tartness 0f the lemon curd mixed with the sweet lemon cake is pretty amazing for dessert or just an afternoon snack with a cup of tea. Try this sometime with whatever drink you like and enjoy.
Making the lemon cake roll:
First, we start by putting parchment paper onto a 12" x 15" sheet pan. The parchment is very important. Then, spray the parchment with cooking spray.
Next, we put all of the ingredients together; it just makes it a little easier if everything is ready (Trust us, we don't always do this, but it really is easier if you are prepared).
Now, mix all the flour, baking powder, and salt together and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, beat the egg till it is a nice lemon color (after all, we are making a lemon cake roll). They really look good when they start to get that yellow color.
Now, it's time to add the sugar to that lemon colored egg mixture. Beat it more for about 3-4 minutes.
Now to add the flavoring to the cake. Add the water and lemon juice. Starting to smell lemony and delicious!
Add the flour mixture now and beat until just combined, about 1-2 minutes.
Pour the cake mixture into a prepared pan.
Have a tea towel ready with a little powdered sugar sifted on it. While still warm, turn the cake out on the towel and peel off the parchment paper. Roll the cake up, also while still warm. We have found that the cake seems to hold its shape better without cracking.
Set the rolled cake wrapped in the towel onto a cake rack and let sit until completely cooled.
Unwrap the cake so that it can be filled.
Spread the slightly cooled lemon curd onto the unwrapped cake, keeping some room at the edges. This way, the lemon curd won't drip out of the cake.
Roll the cake backup and place on a nice tray. Refrigerate so that it gets chilled.
What a nice looking lemon cake roll! It goes even better with a nice dollop of whipped cream.Print
Lemon Cake Roll
- Prep Time: 20 mins.
- Cook Time: 12 mins.
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- 5 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Set oven to 400ºF.
- Prepare a 12" x 15" pan by putting in parchment paper and then spraying it with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix your dry ingredients. First, the flour, baking powder, and salt together and set aside.
- In a mixer, beat the eggs till lemon colored.
- Add the sugar to the eggs and beat more until they get thick and yellow, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the water and lemon juice to the mixer and beat for another minute.
- Add the flour mixture and beat just until combined
- Pour into the prepared pan and cook for about 12 minutes.
- While still warm, turn the cake out on the tea towel.
- Pull the parchment paper slowly off the cake and roll up into the tea towel.
- Place cake wrapped in towel onto a cake rack and let sit until cool.
- Unwrap the cake and spread with lemon curd.
- Roll up the cake with the lemon curd.
- Set it onto a platter and refrigerate.