This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Lemons have a delightful citrus taste that is a favorite in many dishes. There is lemonade, lemon cake, lemon meringue pie, we can go on and on. Oh! don't forget how good it is to brighten up a good chicken dish!
Recently, we made some lemonade with the plump, juicy lemons we had but today, it is all about dessert using some of these lemons. We are making a rich, slightly tart lemon curd that can be used for several desserts. We can use it as a filling for cupcakes, cakes, donuts, tarts, and pies. after the curd is chilled. Enjoy this curd in one of your favorite recipes.
Lemon Curd recipe:
The first thing to do is get all of the ingredients ready. We have small bowls of egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, water, salt, lemon juice, lemon zest, and butter.
Lemon curd ingredients
Whisk the egg yolks in a mixer until they become thick and yellow.
In a saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and water till all the ingredients are dissolved.
The mixture will thicken a little but now, it is time to temper the hot sugar mixture with the mixed egg yolks. You want to get the temperature close to the same so that you don't scramble the eggs.
Slowly pour some of the hot sugar mixture a little at a time into the egg yolks; keep the mixture running at a low speed. Usually, when you get a third to half of the hot mixture mixed into the egg yolks, the temperature is safe to put back into the saucepan. You want the temperature of the eggs to warm up.
Now, add the lemon juice and the lemon zest to the mix and stir it all together.
To add a bit more richness, add the butter and stir it all together. We strain the mixture at this time just in case any egg gets scrambled. Better safe than sorry!
Now, your sweet and slightly tart lemon curd is done! Let cool slightly if using in recipes like lemon cake roll or chill in the fridge if eating as is cold.
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¾ cups lemon juice
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 T. butter
- Whisk egg yolks in a mixer, about 2 minutes
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and water. Remove from heat.
- Temper the eggs by adding the hot mixture into the egg yolks, a little at a time, while mixing the egg yolks. You want to heat the egg yolk mixture so the temperature of the eggs will rise like the sugar mixture.
- Stir in the lemon juice and lemon zest and mix.
- Stir the butter into the mixture.
- Strain the lemon mixture just in case there is any egg scrambled, optional, but is recommended.
- Let cool to room temperature or chill in refrigerator.