This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Egg custard has been around for a long time and for a good reason. It tastes delicious! It only uses a few ingredients: milk, cream, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. You also have the option of adding peaches to the custard mix for a peachy flavor.
They have egg custard tarts in China that are really good when we were there. They even served them at Kentucky Fried Chicken stores! They were just a good egg custard in a tiny tart shell and everyone liked them.
The version that we have has cream and an egg yolk for extra richness. Also, we added peach slices to the custard cups, but they are very good without them. You can make them any way you want!
Egg custard ingredients:
Only six ingredients are needed to make this dessert (Make it seven if you choose to add sliced peaches to your custard for a fruity flavor). You probably have all these ingredients on hand.
To make the custard, start by heating one cup of milk with sugar and cream. This dissolves the sugar and warms the mixture so you can add the eggs to the mix. The eggs help thicken the custard.
Mix the eggs and egg yolk with the vanilla till it's all incorporated.
Add a little of the warm milk mixture to the egg yolk mixture a little at a time until they are both warm. You must whisk while you pour the hot liquid into the eggs; you don't want your eggs to scramble. This is known as tempering the eggs.
Now, cook the mixture a little more until it is warm.
If you want to add peaches, now is the time. We just put two sliced peaches into the cups before adding the custard mixture. If you want traditional custard, just leave the peaches out of the cups.
Fill the custard cups up to the top with the smooth mixture.
Fill the cups to the top for a nice dish of custard.
We like to sprinkle the custard with cinnamon, but nutmeg is another choice. You decide; makes it extra good!
Custard looks great, but don't forget to add hot water to the pan. This allows the custard to cook without burning. It is easier if you add the hot water to the pan when it is on the oven shelf; less chance of spilling the water either out of the pan or into the custard while you carry the pan to the oven.
- 2 cups milk (use 1 cup with cream then 1 cup for egg mixture)
- ¾ cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 15 oz. can of peaches, optional
- Heat 1 cup of milk, sugar and cream in a saucepan till warm.
- Mix eggs and yolk with 1 cup of milk and vanilla.
- Add a little of the warm milk to the egg mixture and stir till blended.
- Add the egg mixture to the milk and sugar mixture, and cook till it is all mixed together and sugar is dissolved.
- If you want peaches, add 2 slices to the bottom of the custard dish and pour custard mixture over the top. Dust with cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Put 8 custard cups into a large baking dish, then fill with very hot water till it is almost ½ way up the sides of the custard cups.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes or till you can poke a knife into the custard and it comes out clean.
- Add very hot water to the pan
"Leave a Reply"