This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Are you tired of the same old American Buttercream Icing? Then try this one for a change. It is Swiss Meringue Buttercream Icing... only with caramel! What's not to love? It is sweet, but not too sweet and has a nice fluffy texture to it and don't worry, the egg whites are cooked. It is stable enough to top on cakes and cupcakes and can even be left out at room temperature.
Caramel Swiss Meringue Buttercream Icing Ingredients:
- Egg Whites
- Carmel sauce
Making the icing:
This icing is different than regular buttercream icing because you must cook the egg whites with sugar and salt before adding anything else to the mix. In a pan over simmering water, add the sugar, room temperature egg whites, and salt. Cook these until all of the sugar is dissolved; it should take up to 10 or 11 minutes.
When done, add this to a mixing bowl and, using a whip attachment, mix until the egg whites are nice and glossy; this should take about 20 to 22 minutes. You want to make sure they are whipped and cool before adding the rest of the ingredients. It should stand nicely on the whisk.
Now, it is time to change the whisk to the paddle attachment, then add the softened butter to the mixture; you only use about 1 ½ to 2 Tablespoons at a time and mix in. This should take less than 5 minutes to complete.
Now, add the vanilla for flavor and mix in.
Now, is the good part! Pour some caramel syrup into the mixture to give it a great caramel flavor. It is just ice cream syrup topping and it tastes great in the icing!
Voila! you have a nice icing to put on top of cakes or cupcakes to enjoy.Print
Caramel Swiss Meringue Buttercream Icing
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 24 cupcakes 1x
- Category: cake
- Cuisine: dessert
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 ¾ cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup caramel syrup
- In a bowl over simmering water, add the egg whites, salt, and sugar. Whisk these till all of the sugar is dissolved with no sugar crystals in the bowl, about 5 to 8 minutes. Feel the mix to make sure there are no sugar crystals left.
- Now, use a whisk attachment on the mixer and whip the mixture till firm and glossy, about 20 minutes.
- Switch to the paddle attachment and add the softened butter a small amount at a time, about 1 Tablespoon, and beat after each, it should take between 5 and 7 minutes.
- Now, add the vanilla and mix.
- Lastly, add the caramel to the mix and just incorporate it, for about 1 minute.
- Spread or pipe onto cakes or cupcakes and enjoy!
* If the meringue wasn't stiff enough, you can put the mixture back into the refrigerator for about 1 hour. Then, whip again and it should work.