This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Spice cupcakes are one of our favorites during the fall season. It is a great time to make them since everyone is thinking of spicy desserts like pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice, and apples. You should give these spice cupcakes a try, if you have never had them. The spices used here are cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and cloves. To give it even more flavor, there is enough brown sugar to give them that great caramely flavor that is fantastic!
This cupcake can be covered with buttercream or cream cheese frosting; they are both delicious. We tried something different this year and used a caramel Swiss meringue buttercream and it pared well with the spice. The choice is up to you. Have fun!
Ingredients for Spice Cupcakes:
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Brown sugar
- White sugar
- Sour cream
Making the spice cupcakes:
First, mix all of the dry ingredients: flour, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together and set aside. Then, in a mixing bowl, beat the softened butter with the brown sugar and white sugar until completely incorporated.
The mixture for the spice cupcakes should be smooth and well blended before you add the rest of the ingredients.
Now, you want to add in the eggs one at a time into the batter. Now, add the vanilla to the cup of milk. Mix ⅓ of the dry mix into the egg mixture, then ½ of the milk. Next, another ⅓ of dry mix and the rest of the milk. Now, add the final ⅓ of the dry ingredients and mix until all is incorporated.
After the flour and milk is mixed in, it's time to add the sour cream to make your cupcake nice and tender. These spice cupcakes come out really moist and tender.
In cupcake pans lined with cupcake liners, fill to ⅔full, or spray with cooking spray if you don't have any cupcake liners use a little cooking spray. They make 24 cupcakes. Bake in the oven for about 14 to 15 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean. Let them cool before icing them.
Once they're cool, top with you favorite Icing. We topped ours with our Caramel Swiss Meringue Buttercream Icing, but you can use any kind of good icing that you want.Print
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 mins.
- Yield: 24 cupcakes 1x
- Category: cakes
- 2 cups All purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoons Ginger
- ½ teaspoons Allspice
- ¼ teaspoons Cloves
- ½ teaspoons Salt
- 1 ¼ teaspoons Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cup Brown sugar
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¾ cup sour cream
- In a bowl, add the flour, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and whisk together. Then, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the butter and sugars and mix until the mixture is well combined and fluffy.
- Now, add the egg and beat just until combined.
- Add the vanilla to the milk and add that alternately with the flour mixture. Start with ⅓ flour, then ½ of the milk, then flour, milk and flour. Now, add the sour cream and beat just until mixed into the batter.
- Pour into cupcakes liners and bake at 350ºF for about 14 to 15 minutes. They should spring back when touched with your finger. You could also test them with a cake tester; the tester should come out clean.
- Let them cool on a rack before icing.
Keywords: Spice cupcakes
Chocolate Cupcakes(Opens in a new browser tab)
"Leave a Reply"