This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Brown sugar icing has a taste kind of like butterscotch, and it flows nicely onto your cookies, coffee cakes, breads, and scones, or whatever else you like it on. Many fall recipes call for a glaze and this one always come to mind.
This icing takes minutes to make and you need no mixer, just a saucepan and a whisk. Most of the time is waiting for each step to be complete. You just let most of the ingredients melt in a pan, then sit for a few minutes before adding the confectioner's sugar. Then, let it sit for a few minutes to cool slightly before spreading or drizzling it on your cakes or cookies.
Ingredients for brown sugar icing:
- Brown sugar
- Half & half
- Confectioners sugar
Making the brown sugar icing:
In a small saucepan, add the butter, brown sugar, milk and half & half.
Let the mixture come to a boil, then take off of the burner and let sit for about 7 minutes.
Now is the time to add the confectioners to the mix and stir it all together with a whisk or spoon.
Let the mixture cool for about 12 minutes or to mostly cool, then spread on cookies, , cakes, bread or our Pumpkin Bars.Print
Brown Sugar Icing
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Total Time: 25 mins.
- Yield: 1 ⅓ cups 1x
- Category: icing
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- ¾ cups plus 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons whole milk
- 1 Tablespoon half & half
- 1 ¾ cups confectioners sugar (sifted)
- In a saucepan, add butter, brown sugar, whole milk, and half & half and bring mixture to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Let the mixture sit for 7 more minutes.
- Now, add the confectioners sugar and mix with a whisk or spoon until completely combined.
- Pour out onto a cooled cake, brownies or pumpkin bars and spread with a knife.