This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Our icing is just like buttercream, only this one is with peanut butter! It is smooth and creamy and has the perfect amount of peanut butter in it. We were thinking about the movie E.T. and remembered the part where Elliott was leaving out the Reese's Pieces for E.T. to pick up and eat. We decided to do a movie theme and make cupcakes with peanut butter icing and Reese's Pieces. We just made our chocolate cupcake recipe and made up the peanut butter icing recipe to go on top of them...along with the Reese's Pieces! Come try them for yourself!
Here are the ingredients for the icing. Only 4 ingredients: unsalted butter, peanut butter, kosher salt, vanilla extract, confectioners' flour and milk (you can also use heavy cream or half and half; they all work).
First things first, put the butter, peanut butter, and salt in the mixing bowl and whip until it is it smooth.
Once it looks like this, now is the time to add the vanilla extract. Whip until it is just blended (no need for the 2 minutes).
Now, with the mixture on low speed, add the confectioners' sugar a little at a time; scraping down the bowl when necessary.
Once it becomes crumbly like this, now is the time to add the milk...or the half and half...or the heavy cream; whichever is your choice. They all work fine.
This is what it should look like in the end. Whipped, creamy, and tasty!
This is what we did with the peanut butter icing. We topped them on mini cupcakes with some Reese's Pieces! They were soooooooo good! It's just a suggestion, but we recommend it. Whatever your choice is, it will surely be a winner!Print
Peanut Butter Buttercream Icing
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: approx. 3 cups
- 1 Cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soften
- ¾ Cups peanut butter
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tbsp. vanilla extract
- 6 Cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 3 Tbsp. heavy cream, half and half, or milk
- In a large electric mixing bowl, beat the butter, peanut butter and salt with the mixer for 2 minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add the sugar, a little at a time, then beat until it forms a crumbly mixture. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl when necessary.
- Add the heavy cream, half and half or milk and beat until light and fluffy.
- Spread or pipe onto cake or cupcakes.