This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Stuffed mushrooms are easy to make and definitely a crowd pleaser. Whenever you set out appetizers, they usually are on the menu along with a cheese balls and maybe a shrimp appetizer. We find that the mushrooms are usually the first to go.
The mushrooms that we used for this recipe are large Bellas; they are great to hold the filling and hold up their shape when baked.
The ingredients in this recipe are a combination of butter, onions, garlic, cream cheese, monterey jack cheese, chopped mushroom stems, bacon, and bread crumbs. All flavors that make these a great tasting appetizer for any party or get together.
Making the stuffed mushrooms:
We start out by taking the stems off of the mushrooms and chopping them up, if there are any hard parts, cut them off and discard them.
Cook some bacon up till crisp and chop into little pieces. Next, melt the butter in a pan and sauté the finely chopped onions. Then, add the grated garlic into the butter. Cook for about 1 minute and add the mushroom stems and sauté till they become a little soft, about 2 minutes.
Now for the good part, in a bowl put the softened cream cheese and the monterey jack cheese and mix till combined. Add the mushroom stem mixture to the cheese and mix everything together. Add the bacon and mix a little more.
Put the mixture into each mushroom cap, try to make it as even as possible or fill them up based on each size.
Add a little bread crumbs onto each mushroom and bake in the oven and bake at 400ºF for about 12 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted.
Here they are, 6 plump nicely filled mushroom caps! Makes a great appetizer before a meal.
A great combination of food for any party or get together!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 mins.
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Category: appetizers
- 6 large Bella mushrooms
- Mushroom stems, chopped
- 5 pieces of bacon, crisp and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsps. finely chopped onions
- 1 lg. garlic clove, grated
- 8 oz. softened cream cheese
- 4 oz. Monterey jack cheese, grated
- Plain bread crumbs, topper
- Wipe off the tops of 6 large Bella mushrooms with a wet paper towel and pull off stems.
- Chop the stems into small pieces, discarding any tough pieces.
- Cook 5 pieces of bacon until crisp and then chop them into small pieces
- In a pan, add the butter and melt it.
- Over medium heat, add the chopped onions for about 2 minutes until starting to get translucent, then add the grated clove of garlic. Cook the garlic with the onions for about 1 minute.
- Add the mushroom stems and cook those for about another 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, put the softened cream cheese and the Monterey jack cheese and mix till softened together.
- Now, dump the mushroom butter mixture into the cheese mixture and mix till all combined.
- Add the chopped bacon and mix again until incorporated.
- Put the mixture into the mushrooms caps and sprinkle each with a little bread crumbs.
- Bake at 400ºF for about 12 minutes. The cheese should be soft.
- Serve on a nice appetizer plate such as a rectangular shaped one big enough to accommodate the mushrooms.