This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Pumpkin cake roll
Pumpkin cake roll is a wow fall dessert that gives you that great pumpkin taste and combines will with a sweet cream cheese filling. It is one of those desserts that you look forward to every year when fall comes around. It also makes your kitchen smell nice; that's a plus!
The cake itself doesn't take long to make and it comes out very tender. The cream cheese filling is a great addition to this cake and gives it an almost cheesecake quality to the dessert. It is one of those desserts that you like to serve along with pumpkin pie for thanksgiving.
- Pumpkin puree
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Cream cheese
- Confectioners' sugar
Making the Pumpkin Cake Roll:
First thing you want to do is spray a sheet pan with cooking spray. Then, line it with parchment paper and give that a spray as well. Now, in a bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients together and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, add the pumpkin and the sugars and mix until all combined.
Now, it is time to use the dry ingredients that you already mixed together. Just add them to the pumpkin mix and beat, just until mixed.
Preheat oven to 350ºF, then pour the mixture into a greased and lined sheet pan and bake for about 15 minutes. When the cake is done, turn it out onto a towel that has sifted powder sugar all over it. At one of the narrow ends, start rolling up the cake roll with the towel until it is all wrapped up in the towel. Now, take the cake roll and, with the seam side down, set the cake, towel and all, onto a rack and let it cool for at least an hour. It should be cool so that the cream cheese filling doesn't melt.
Making cream cheese filling:
In a mixing bowl, add the softened cream cheese and butter until all combined.
Into the cream cheese mixture, add the confectioners' sugar and mix until it is all combined.
Add the vanilla and cinnamon to the cream cheese mix and combine for about 1 minute.
Rolling the Pumpkin Roll:
Unroll the pumpkin cake roll gently; no need to race. The cake should be cool. Take the cream cheese filling and spread it all over the cake.
Starting with the short side of the cake roll, begin to roll the cake over the cream cheese, making it as tight as you can. When it is completely rolled up, wrap it in tin foil and set it in the refrigerator seem side down for at least 1 to 2 hours.
When the cake is cold and set, it always looks better when you cut a thin piece of the cake roll off of each end.
This is the finished cake roll. Look how pretty it looks! With the swirled interior and topped with powdered sugar, what's not to love‽ It's the perfect dessert for autumn!Print
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cakeroll
- Prep Time: 15 mins.
- Cook Time: 15 mins.
- Total Time: 3 hr. 40 mins.
- Yield: 1 whole cakeroll 1x
- Category: Cakes
- Method: Baking
- 4 eggs
- 1 ¼ cup of sugar
- ⅔ cup of pumpkin puree
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
Cream cheese filling:
- 12 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz. butter, softened
- 3 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon of cinnamon
- Spray a sheet pan with cooking spray, then line with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper too. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the eggs, sugar, and pumpkin for about 2 minutes.
- Now, add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix until completely combined.
- Pour the mixture into the sheet pan and bake at 350ºF for about 15 minutes.
- When done, turn out onto a towel that has been thickly dusted with confectioners' sugar.
- Starting at the narrow end, roll up tightly and set on a wire rack to cool.
Cream cheese filling:
- In a mixing bowl, whip the cream cheese and butter until all mixed.
- Now, add the confectioners' sugar and mix till it is all combined.
- Now, add the vanilla and cinnamon and mix for 1 minute.
Putting cake together:
- When cool, unroll the pumpkin roll and spread with the cream cheese filling.
- Now, roll the cake back together and put it on a tray. Then, place it in the refrigerator.
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or springs back