This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Seems that we are always looking for a different vegetable recipe lately. We know you all have been there, tired of the same quick weeknight veggies that you can throw in the microwave. Do not get us wrong, there is nothing wrong with these. We all use them, but sometimes you just want something new.
Cabbage, a veggie we do not us all the time, can be a delicious side item that everyone can enjoy and make again; and we will do so in the future. Everyone really liked the cabbage; it was creamy and tasty. The addition of ham to the cabbage gave it a great flavor. Hope you give it a try and see what you think.
Making the creamed cabbage:
First, take your head of cabbage and cut it in quarters, while cutting the core from the bottom. Next, set the flat side of one of the quarters and, with a sharp knife, keep slicing the cabbage into thin strips. When this is done, take the ham and slice it into small pieced to add to the cabbage. Put the cabbage strips and pieces of ham into a pot of boiling salted water, and cook until tender, about 20 minutes, then drain.
While the cabbage and ham are cooking, get out a skillet and melt the butter.
Into the melted butter, add the flour and cook about 1 minute until incorporated.
Now, add the half and half to the flour mixture, and whisk until it comes to a boil, let simmer for about 1 minute.
Add the salt and pepper and put that into the cream sauce.
Mix the creamed mixture into the cabbage and ham and mix again until everything is incorporated.
Serve up and enjoy! We hope you love it as much as we do!
- 1 medium head green cabbage
- 6 oz. thin pre cooked sliced ham, cut into small pieces
- 2 ½ Tbsp. butter
- 2 ½ Tbsp. flour
- 2 cups half and half
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. pepper
- Core cabbage and slice into thin strips.
- Cut the ham into small pieces.
- Put the cabbage and ham into a boiling pot of salted water.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until tender then strain.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter, then stir the flour into the butter for about 1 minute. Add the half and half, and bring to a boil; stir until thickened.
- Add the ham, salt and pepper to the cream sauce.
- Mix the cream sauce into the cabbage.
- Serve as a side item.