This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
These chocolate cupcakes are really, really good. Once you eat one it is hard to resist another one. They are very chocolaty and delicious and a hint of coffee just adds to the flavor. These chocolate cupcakes are delicious topped with chocolate buttercream icing or peanut butter buttercream icing.
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups buttermilk, shaken
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 tsp. instant coffee granules
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Whip butter and sugars together on medium-high speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl when necessary.
- Sift or whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together and set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs and vanilla with the buttermilk.
- To the butter mixture add about ⅓ of the dry ingredients then ⅓ of the butter egg mixture, repeat until all of these ingredients are incorporated.
- Mix the coffee granules with the warm water. Pour this into the mixture and mix until combined.
- Scoop batter into 24 cupcake.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until the cupcakes come out clean.*
- Let cool in pan for about 5-10 minutes, then take out cupcakes and let them cool more until room temperature.
*Mini cup cakes cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or till cake tester comes clean.