This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Teriyaki chicken is a favorite dish that takes no time to make. The sauce can be made the day before and put into the refrigerator for the next day for an even quicker meal. Everything made here can be made faster depending on what sides you use in your bowl. We took a little extra time to grill some pineapple, since it is the way everyone likes pineapple around here. The broccoli was steamed in the microwave; easy peasy. Put on some rice (white or brown), put everything in the bowl, and dinner is ready.
- Chicken pieces
- Soy sauce
- Ground ginger
- Pineapple juice
- Rice vinegar
In a saucepan, add all of the ingredients except the cold water and cornstarch in a pan. Mix these ingredients with a whisk until fully incorporated and comes to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Then, add the cornstarch mixture until it thickens. Let the mixture cool.
In a pan, add about one or two Tablespoon of canola oil and, when it gets hot, add the chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned and cooked through. Then, add the teriyaki sauce and cook until well coated and slightly thick.
Take fresh pineapple spears and grill them on a barbecue or in a saucepan until they are just cooked through. The flavor with pineapple and teriyaki is really good; worth the extra time.
Any side you like will probably go with this dish; it is chicken after all! We used broccoli because it tastes and looks great in a teriyaki bowl. My brother likes corn in his dish.
A nice bowl of rice is always a winner with asian dishes. It seems to pull all of the bowl together.Print
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: chicken
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- ¾ cups soy sauce
- 1 ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon. ground ginger
- 1 large garlic clove, sliced into pieces
- ¾ tablespoon. pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon. mirren
- ⅛ teaspoon. rice vinegar
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 ½ tablespoon. cornstarch
- White or Brown Rice
- Broccoli, optional
- Pineapple, optional
- In a saucepan, add all the ingredients except water and cornstarch.
- Stir till all mixed then bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer for about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the sliced garlic.
- In a small bowl, ,ix the cold water and the cornstarch till smooth.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the soy sauce mix and cook until thickened.
- Take off the heat and let cool.
- Put a little canola oil in a skillet and let it heat up.
- Add the chicken and cook until it is fully cooked and a little brown.
- Add about ¼ cup of the teriyaki mixture to the pan.
- Mix around till all coated for about 2-3 minutes.
- When completely coated and slightly thick, take out of pan.
- Add chicken to a bowl along with rice, vegetables, and pineapple.
- You can add extra sauce for the bowl, if you like.