This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
We used to go to a good Italian restaurant that served a tasty 3-bean salad, but unfortunately, it closed down a few years back. Fortunately, a chicken store that we frequent a lot serve this exact 3-bean salad, but...unfortunately, we haven't been buying it do to the concerns of Covid. So, we've decided to make our own version. It is escentialy several cans of beans that are marinated in an Italian dressing for several hours. When we were developing this recipe, we though it was good, but Anne though that we should add more beans to it. That gave us the idea of adding a 4th bean not found in the other 3-bean salad, wax beans. We added that bean due to it being similar to green beans and to add a variety of color.
Let's start with the Italian Dressing Marinate!
In order to make the dressing, use the following ingredients:
- extra-virgin olive oil
- white wine vinegar
- kosher salt
- dried basil
- dried oregano
- ground black pepper
First, start by simply adding all of the Italian marinated ingredients at once in a medium to large bowl and mixing just until combined. We use a bowl with a lid attached to it (more on that later).
Well, that was simple enough! Now, on to the remainder of the ingredients for the four bean salad:
- canned green beans
- canned golden wax beans
- canned kidney beans
- canned cannellini beans
- yellow and/or red onion
- fresh parsley
- additional salt
- additional black pepper
Pour the 4 beans into a sieve or colander and drain and rinse the beans thoroughly.
Now, pour the beans into the bowl of Italian dressing marinade along with the onion, we used both yellow and red onion to give it a bigger variety of color.
Give it a good mixing with tongs or salad forks. you want them to get a good coating of the marinade.
Add the fresh parsley, nicely chopped right on top of the beans
Then, give it a nice mixing till it is all incorporated.
Put the lids on the bowl if you are using one that is or is similar to ours. Then, put it in the fridge and let marinade for at least 12 hours or overnight. You need to mix the beans every few hours, that is why we used a bowl with a lid so it is easier to just shake the beans. If you don't have this kind of bowl, just use a regular bowl and cover with aluminum foil, mix the beans with tongs or salad forks and cover again with the aluminum foil.
Once the beans are all marinated, taste and see if you need more salt and pepper to taste. Add accordingly and serve as a nice, healthy side to meals such as hoagies or Italian meals. Enjoy it however you like!Print
- Prep Time: 5 mins.
- Cook Time: 0 mins.
- Total Time: 12 hrs. 5 mins.
- Yield: about 8 servings 1x
- ⅓ Cup. extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ Cup. white wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
Beans and other mix-ins:
- 1 (15 oz.) can green beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 (15 oz.) can golden wax beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 (15 ounce) can Cannellini Beans, Rinsed and drained well
- ½ white yellow and/or red onion, diced into small cubes
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Additional salt, if desired
- Additional black pepper, if desired
- In a large bowl with lid, add all of the dressing ingredients together and whisk until combined.
- Add the beans and the onion and mix with tongs or salad forks, then add the fresh parsley. Add additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Cover with lid and let marinade in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours or overnight, shaking a few times every so often to make sure the marinade is covering the beans.
- Once marinated and chilled, serve as a side with your favorite dishes.