This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Since staying home is something that we all are doing now, it isn't always easy to get a delicious snack to have with your movie. So, using some supplies that were in the pantry, we were able to make quite a good snack. The delicious, buttery, salty, popcorn taste is great for satisfying that desire for a great snack.
Let us tell you what is needed to make this treat: Butter, brown sugar, light corn syrup, baking soda, vanilla, sea salt, and, of course, some popcorn! We had everything that was needed including some packs of movie theater popcorn that made making this recipe pretty easy. The packs of popcorn are easy to make and they and gives it an extra buttery taste.
Making the caramel popcorn:
First, we lined two large sheet trays with tin foil and then sprayed them with Pam. You can grease them with shortening as well, it works. The foil makes for easy clean up.
Melt the butter, then, add the sugar and corn syrup. Simmer for 5 minutes. It should be a golden color.
Next, turn the heat off and take the pan off the burner while you add the baking soda and vanilla. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
Pour the mixture into the popcorn. We find it is better to work fast.
When combined, pour popcorn onto two greased pans.
Bake in a low oven at 250ºF for 20- 30 minutes, keeping watch that it doesn't burn.
Voila! now you have beautifully caramelized popcorn to munch on while you watch your favorite movie.
- Prep Time: 10 mins.
- Cook Time: 20 mins.
- Total Time: 30 mins.
- Yield: 13 cups 1x
- 13 cups or 3 packs microwavable popcorn
- ¾ cups butter
- 1 ¾ cups brown sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. vanilla
- Cover 2 large baking pans with tin foil or spray with Pam. Set aside
- Pop popcorn and set aside in a large bowl.
- Melt butter then add the sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes. Should be a nice golden color.
- Take mixture off burner and add the salt, brown sugar, and vanilla. Mix until all incorporated.
- Pour into the popcorn and mix well.
- Spread into the 2 pans and put into the oven at 250ºF for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Check from time to time so it doesn't burn.
- Set aside till it is cool then break pieces apart.