This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Gingerbread is just one of those sweet goodies that is mostly served when it is cold outside. However, since I live in sunny south Florida the cold weather is never a problem. So I make some gingerbread anyway and my family enjoys it just the same.
Gingerbread is something that has been around for a long time and Queen Elizabeth I had cookies made out of gingerbread to look like people who came to see her. I heard this on the Big Bang Theory and looked it up, seems to be true.
Gingerbread is not only used for cakes and cookies, but also is featured in nursery rhymes, remember Hansel and Gretel. A story that has been around for a long time.
I have tried many different ingredients to come up with this recipe and I think it is something that you are going to enjoy. Even if it isn't cold in your area try a nice slice of gingerbread with a dollop of whipped cream.
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup molasses
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- 1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
Bake at 350 degrees
Grease and flour a 9 x 9 pan
- Mix butter till softened
- Add the sugars and beat until creamy
- Next add the molasses to the mixture and mix just until combined
- Add the two eggs and mix until they are incorporated
- Mix the dry ingredients together and add alternately with the milk. Starting with the flour.
- Put into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick or knife inserted comes out clean.
Really good with a big dollop of whipped cream
"Leave a Reply"