This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Barbecued chicken kebabs are great for throwing onto the barbecue grill. You can make them ahead of time and let them sit in the refrigerator till you are ready to grill them.
When the weather starts getting hot, it is a good time to use the barbecue grill. Chicken is a great dish to barbecue since it doesn't take long to cook. You can add many rubs or sauces on them for great flavor. You can even add woodchips to the grill to give them that great outdoor smoky flavor.
Ingredients for Barbecued chicken kebabs:
- Brining the chicken - Water, salt, and sugar. Brining the chicken makes the chicken more moist and tender, great when you put the chicken onto the grill.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Barbecue Rub - Add this to the meat before you cook it for extra flavor
- Brown sugar
- Chili powder
- Garlic salt
- Cayenne pepper
- Black pepper
- Barbecue Sauce - any kind that you like, homemade or bought. We used Original Sweet Baby Rays
Making the Kebobs:
Take 2 pounds of boneless, skinless, chicken breasts and cut them into 2-inch pieces. Now, it is time to make the brine for the tenderness of the chicken. Mix the brine and add the chicken pieces. It is best if you soak the chicken for about 3 hours; you can always make it less if you have to, but a little brining is good.
After you soak the chicken pieces, take them out of the brine and dry them off. Now, add the rub to the chicken and mix it around to coat the pieces.
Thread the chicken pieces onto the skewers. If using bamboo skewers, make sure that you soak them in water for at least 10 to 15 minutes so they don't burn. If you are using metal skewers, you can just add the chicken pieces.
Heat the barbecue grill for 10 to 15 minutes to get the heat going. Cook on direct medium heat till one side is cooked. Then, turn so the other side can cook. On the cooked side, you can now brush on the barbecue sauce. When the other side is done, turn and brush it with some barbecue sauce. The chicken should be done when the internal temperature is 165 degrees on a meat thermometer.Print
Barbecued Chicken Kebabs
- Prep Time: 20 mins.
- Cook Time: 10-15 mins.
- Total Time: 3 hrs. 35 mins.
- Yield: 8 skewers 1x
- Category: chicken
- Method: barbecue
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless, chicken breasts*
- 3 cups of water
- ¼ cup salt
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 ½ Tablespoons paprika
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ Tsp black pepper
- Use the kind that you like, we used Sweet Baby Rays
- Cut the boneless skinless chicken breasts into about 1-inch pieces.
- Make a brine of the water, salt, and sugar. Add the chicken pieces into the brine and refrigerate for about 3 hours.
- Mix the ingredients for the rub and set aside.
- Take the chicken pieces out of the brine and dry them off with paper towels.
- Put the chicken pieces into a bowl and add the spice rub to the chicken.
- Take skewers and thread pieces onto the skewers. If using metal skewers, you can do it right away. If you are using bamboo skewers, make sure to soak them in water for at least 10 minutes before adding the chicken pieces.
- Spray and heat the barbecue grill for about 10 to 15 minutes before adding the skewers onto the grill.
- Cook one side of the chicken skewers, and when done, turn the kebobs.
- Add the barbecue sauce to the kebobs when they are cooked. Add more barbecue sauce, if you'd like.
- Take off the grill when the chicken is fully cooked.
*You can use chicken thighs pieces, if you'd like.
Keywords: Barbecued chicken kebobs