This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Baked Fried Chicken with Gravy
At our house, everyone seems to love fried chicken dinner. It's juicy and flavorful and goes well with rice or mashed potatoes. This was not fried, but baked and it was easy for a weeknight meal. You just need a mixture of flour with some spices and buttermilk; that takes about five minutes to mix together. Pop it into a pan and let it cook while you can relax. No standing and frying the chicken tonight!
Brining the chicken:
In the morning, add some buttermilk to the chicken pieces and let sit in the fridge till dinner. Buttermilk will tenderize the chicken, but if you don't have time, it is still great without the brining.
Mixing the ingredients:
Fill 2 bowls with a flour mixture of flour, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. This mixture will be used twice to give the chicken a double crust and make it crunchy. We think that the crust is the best part of the chicken, flavored with really good spices that give it delicious flavor.
Fill another bowl with buttermilk and add some cayenne pepper to to give it a little heat. You can add more than we did if you want it to be a little hotter.
We took the chicken out of the brine and dipped the chicken breast in the first bowl of seasoned flour. This gives it a nice coating for the crusty chicken.
We love to use buttermilk on chicken because there is always a base to hold the flour without a lot of it falling off before you fry it. Adding some cayenne pepper in the buttermilk gives extra heat to the chicken.
The chicken breast is now dipped into the second bowl of seasoned flour to give your chicken a thick coating.
We used a small sheet pan to cook the chicken, but first, oil and butter was melted for the chicken to cook on. This will brown the chicken up nicely.
The chicken should be turned once after about 30 minutes and then left to cook for another 30 minutes, or until browned and cooked through. The time can be different depending on the size of the chicken breast.
Making the gravy:
Adding flour to the pan drippings will make a gravy. Just cook till mixed into the drippings.
Add chicken broth to the flour mixture and mix while scraping up the bits in the pan. Cook till it comes to a boil and simmer for about 1 minutes.
Strain the gravy into a bowl. This is delicious over the chicken. Enjoy!
Baked Fried Chicken
Baked fried chicken is a nice filling meal, the chicken is juicy yet the crust is crunchy and crisp. A great weeknight meal for the whole family, after all how many people don't like fried chicken?
For chicken and brine:
- 4 large chicken breasts
- buttermilk, enough to coat chicken
- 2 cups all purpose four, split into about 1 cup each
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder, split for later
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning, split for later
- 2 teaspoons salt, split for later
- 1 teaspoon pepper, split for later
- ¾ cups buttermilk
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup canola oil, or enough to cover the pan by about ¼ inch
- Pan drippings or 2 Tbsp. butter, if there are no drippings left
- 1 ½ Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth, more if needed
- Soak the chicken breasts in buttermilk for about 3-4 hours.
- Get 2 medium sized bowls, then mix each bowl with 1 cup flour, ¼ tsp. garlic powder, ¼ tsp. poultry seasoning, 1 tsp. salt, and ½ tsp. pepper.
- Fill another mid sized bowl with buttermilk.
- On a small sheet pan ,melt the butter and oil until melted together.
- Take the chicken out of the buttermilk and dip into the first flour bowl.
- Take the floured chicken breast out of the flour and dip into the buttermilk
- Now, take the buttermilk dipped chicken and dip that into the second bowl of flour
- Put each chicken breast face down in the pan.
- Cook for 30 minutes, then turn the chicken breasts.
- Cook another 30 minutes or until it reaches 165ºF.
- Remove chicken pieces from pan and save the juices. If the juices are gone, add about 2 Tbsp. butter to the pan
- Add the flour and mix with the juices or butter, scraping up the bits in the pan.
- Add the chicken broth and mix until it is the consistency that you want.
- Let it come to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve the chicken with gravy, along with sides such as potatoes or rice.
"Leave a Reply"