This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Rocky road ice cream
Anymore, there're so many kinds of ice cream, but Rocky road ice cream is one of the best. It is hard to resist the deep chocolate flavor and the addition of marshmallows and almonds. It puts this treat over the top! It satisfies the craving for chocolate, nuts, and marshmallows that we all seem to have at times, and it is pretty easy to make.
The chocolate flavor is made with cocoa that is usually found in the pantry. It seems to be the best chocolate for that deep chocolate flavor in ice cream. Marshmallows are also a pantry favorite for using in brownies, hot chocolate and adding to ice cream. Nuts on the other hand are not a favorite of ours to keep in the pantry unless they are to be used soon, We prefer the freezer to keep their delicious taste.
Making the ice cream:
Into a saucepan, add the cocoa powder, half and half, cream, milk, sugar, and salt.
Turn the heat on medium, mix, then simmer the mixture for about 4 to 5 minutes. This will give the mixture time to dissolve the sugar.
Whip the eggs in a mixer until thick and light, about 2 minutes.
Temper the egg yolk mixture with the chocolate mixture. Pour a little of the hot mixture into the eggs a little at a time and mix. Keep doing this until the temperature of the eggs are raised a little. Then, pour everything back into the pan and stir until the back of a metal spoon is coated. Then add the vanilla and strain into a bowl and chill fo4 several hours, brfore putting into an ice cream machine.
This looks really good, a bowl of ice cream mix, mini marshmallows, and almonds. The fixins for an incredible ice cream. Try not to taste to much of this before you churn the ice cream!
Pour the ice cream mixture into the ice cream freezer bowl and turn on. This makes the most delicious rocky road ice cream. Trust us!
When the ice cream is thick and creamy, about 20-30 minutes, it's time to add the marshmallows and almonds. Let them churn away for approximately 2 minutes or so. Now, you can eat it soft or freeze it for a few hours until it becomes nice and hard. We always like to eat at least a little of the ice cream at soft serve stage, then we freeze the remaining bit in a container.
Here is what it looks like when it is hard. Try it, whether you are a soft serve or hard ice cream lover. It will be an instant hit!
- Prep Time: 20 mins.
- Cook Time: 10 mins.
- Total Time: 5 hrs.
- Yield: approx. 1.5 quarts
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups milk (we recommend whole milk)
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 9 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- ½ cup almonds, halved
- In a saucepan, add the cocoa, half and half, cream, milk, sugar, and salt. Mix, then simmer until ingredients are dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Mix the egg yolks until thick and light in color.
- Add a little amount of the hot mixture into the egg mixture and mix. Do this until the temperatures are about even, then add all to the saucepan.
- Cook until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Add the vanilla
- Strain mixture into a bowl.
- Refrigerate until chilled, about 4 hours.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream freezer.
- When ice cream is pretty much done, add the marshmallows and almonds and let mix for a few minutes.
- Once done, eat as is, for soft serve, or freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight in order for it to be hard ice cream.
"Leave a Reply"