This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Who doesn't like a nice hot cup of hot chocolate when it is cold out or just because it is the holiday season? Nobody! This is by far the best hot chocolate that we have had, it is made with three kinds of chocolate. It contains not only the making of hot cocoa, which of course is made of cocoa, but also with two types of melting chocolate within it. It is a win-win in chocolate flavor!
The chocolate takes maybe 10 to 15 minutes to make, but there is a big difference in taste compared to a packet of mix. Not trying to knock the mix, we use them too, but if you have the time and want something a bit different, try making this hot chocolate.
You can make this hot drink for your Christmas hot cocoa bar. Just put your cutest holiday cups out and fill the coffee dispenser with hot chocolate. Serve with sides of caramel syrup, candy canes, marshmallows, and cinnamon sticks, and let everyone help themselves. You can also add a few cookies or coffee cake for extra holiday cheer.
We have posted another hot chocolate drink, but in this one, we added some bittersweet and semisweet chocolate for a little different taste. We like both recipes.
- Whole Milk
- Half & Half
- Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Vanilla extract
Making Great Hot Chocolate:
In a saucepan, add all of the dry ingredients and whisk them together.
Now, add the milk and half & half to the dry mixture and bring to just under a boil.
The mix is just under a boil, but hot enough to melt the chocolate.
Add the 2 kinds of chocolate, semi-sweet and bittersweet chips, and mix until melted and smooth.
Now, for more flavor, add the vanilla extract and mix. Vanilla just adds that other special flavor to hot chocolate. Pour them into mugs or a dispenser and top with toppings such as whipped cream, marshmallows, and candy canes. They are all so wonderful for the holidays. Cheers!Print
Best Hot Chocolate
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 7 servings 1x
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Stovetop
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- dash of salt
- ½-¾ cups sugar *
- 2 ¼ cups whole milk
- 2 cups half & half
- ¼ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, add the cocoa, salt, and sugar and whisk.
- Now, add the whole milk and half & half and mix thoroughly, then cook on medium heat until it comes to almost a boil, but very hot.
- Now is the time to add the bittersweet and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Stir until all of the chips are completely dissolved.
- Add the vanilla extract and enjoy with toppings such as whipped cream, marshmallows, and candy canes.
*The amount of sugar used depends on how sweet you want your hot chocolate. If you want yours very sweet, add ¾ cup sugar. If you want it less sweet, add ½ cup sugar. ⅔ cup sugar is about in between ½ cup and ¾ cup.
Keywords: hot chocolate