This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Strawberry shortcake squares are a great dessert; they taste good, they look good and they are pretty easy to make. When there are beautiful strawberries in the store, it is certainly the time to put one together. It is definitely worth it!
New fact about strawberry shortcake:
Strawberry shortcake is now the official state dessert of Florida (where we are from). There are so many of these delicious berries grown in the state in the winter that it earns that title. When we first heard about this, we thought: What about Key Lime Pie? Turns out, that is the official state pie, so all is good.😮💨
Sponge cake or biscuits:
We know that this tasty dessert is made with either sponge cake or a biscuit. both are good. Today, we chose to make sponge cake squares that are absolutely delicious. It is made with just four ingredients: eggs, sugar, flour, and baking powder. Baked in a pan and done in about 20 minutes. Let it cool, then add the delicious berries and whipped cream.
Prepping the strawberries:
This is an easy task, just pick out the nicest, juiciest strawberries for the top and leave them whole. Then, take the smaller berries, wash them off, and slice into medium slices to fill the center of the cake. When done, they will sit on a mound of whipped cream.
Nothing is better than a billowing layer of whipped cream on a cake. Just take a quart of whipped cream; remember, this covers a whole cake, top and middle. Pour the cream into a bowl or stand mixer; it is better if you can chill the bowl for a few minutes. Whip it until just starting to thicken, then add the confectioners; sugar and beat till medium peaks are reached.
Putting the cake together:
Slice the cake in half, top the bottom layer with whipped cream, then top that with juicy strawberries. Put the top layer on top of the strawberries and cut into squares. Put a strawberry in the center of each square.
Fancy up the squares:
If you want, you can decorate the squares by piping some whipped cream around the top of each square and adding a circle of whipped cream in the center. We used a #21 tip in a piping bag, you can also use a smallish star tube.
Now, top with that large, uncut strawberry we were talking about earlier. It is finally complete so you and the whole family can enjoy them. Mmmmmm! 😋
Strawberry Shortcake Squares
This is a sweet dessert favorite whenever you can get some great strawberries.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 12 squares 1x
- Category: dessert
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cups sugar
- 4 cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup. confectioners sugar
- 4 cups strawberries
- In a bowl, mix the flour and baking power. Then, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip the eggs for about a minute on a low speed.
- Now, add the sugar and turn the mixer up to medium or a little higher.
- Beat the mixture for 10 to 15 minutes until it reaches the ribbon stage.
- Add the dry ingredients and fold them into the egg mixture.
- Put into the pan and bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly brown on top.
- Let cool about 15 minutes and turn out onto a tray.
- Make the whipped cream by whipping the heavy cream on high and adding the confectioners; sugar. Make sure to whip it until you get stiff peaks, no longer.
- Split in half and spread some whipped cream to cover the cake
- Top with sliced strawberries.
- Add the top of the cake and spread whipped cream on that too.
- Slice into squares.
- Pipe whipped cream with a tip #21 for decoration around the square, then put a circle of whipped cream in the center.
- Place a nice strawberry onto the circle of whipped cream and enjoy!
Keywords: Strawberry shortcake squares