This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Strawberry cake roll is one of those desserts that impresses your friends when they come over. The cake is made in three steps. First, the vanilla cake, second, sweeten the strawberries a little, and third, make the whipped cream. Then, just put them all together into a cake roll; It really looks fantastic, but even better, this cake tastes as good as it looks!
Seems like strawberries and whipped cream have always gone together, and piling these two ingredients onto a soft cake makes them even better. You always get that great vanilla cake flavor with the fruity strawberries and irresistible creaminess of whipped cream; a hard to beat combination.
Ingredients for the cake:
There are 7 ingredients in this cake: eggs, sugar, water, flour, vanilla, baking powder, and salt; Ingredients that we usually have on hand.
First, you put the eggs in a mixer and whip them until they become thick, about 4 minutes. They look great mixed up like this.
Add the sugar to the eggs and whip for another 2 minutes until combined and a little thicker.
Now, add the mixture of flour, salt, and baking powder to the egg mix. Really starting to look good.
Cake ready for the oven
Pour the cake batter into a parchment lined sheet pan, making sure to spray the parchment paper first.
When the cake comes out of the oven, turn onto a tea towel that you dusted with powdered sugar. Peel off the parchment paper slowly, so that it doesn't pull the cake apart. You wouldn't want that!
Roll the cake on the long side, using the dusted powdered sugar tea towel, into a tight spiral.
Set the wrapped cake onto a wire rack and let it sit until cooled.
While the cake is cooling, take 4 cups of strawberries and slice into pieces. Pour 1 Tablespoon of sugar over the strawberries and let sit
Ingredients for Whipped Cream:
Only 2 ingredients to make great tasting whipped cream: Heavy cream and confectioners' sugar!
Whip the cream until it is slightly thick, then add the confectioners' sugar. Whip a little longer til it is soft and thick, but not too thick.
Preparing the baked cake
Unroll the cake and dot it with mounds of the whipped cream.
Spread the whipped cream all over the cake till it is completely covered.
Adding the strawberries
Put the strawberries on top of the whipped cream.
Now, just start at one end of the cake and roll it up tightly again. Set the seem of the cake onto the bottom of a tray. For decoration, sift with confectioners' sugar and dot with dollops of whipped cream. Add beautiful sliced strawberries onto the top of the cake.Print
Strawberry Cake Roll
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes + 1 hour to cool
- Total Time: 1 hr. 27 minutes
- Yield: 10 pieces 1x
- Category: cake
- 5 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon. salt
- 4 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 !/2 cups heavy cream
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar, sifted
- ⅓ cup flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Prepare a 12" x 15" sheet pan by spraying with cooking spray, put a sheet of parchment paper on it and spraying it again. Set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, and salt together, set aside
- In a mixer, beat the eggs till slightly thick and a lite lemon color.
- Add the sugar to the whipped eggs and mix to get a little thicker, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the water and vanilla and beat for another minute.
- Add the flour mixture and mix till combined about 1 minute.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 12 minutes. Should spring back when cake is pressed with your finger.
- While cake is cooking, put 4 cups of sliced strawberries in a bowl and sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon of sugar. Mix. Set aside until cake is done.
- Mix 2 ½ cups heavy cream in a chilled bowl till slightly thick, add ⅓ cup of powdered sugar to the cream and whip until stiff peaks.
- Put into the refrigerator until cake is done.
- When the cake is done and still warm turn out onto a tea towel that is sifted with powdered sugar.
- Peel off the parchment paper.
- Roll up the cake with the towel and set on a rack to cool.
- When cool turn onto a cutting board or platter and unroll the cake
- Spread with the whipped cream
- Add the strawberries to the whipped cream
- Roll the cake back up and set on the seem part of the cake. chill
- Add the powdered sugar to the top, a little whipped cream roses, and fresh strawberries
Keywords: Strawberry Cake Roll