This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Who doesn't like a nice roast chicken for dinner? This is a meal that can be served for a family dinner or when you have company. Adding fresh rosemary and thyme to the chicken gives it great, fresh flavor, and the flavor is enhanced more with some melted butter loaded with even more flavorful herbs.
To get the crispy skin on the chicken, make sure you wash and dry the chicken first. A paper towel works fine and the dry skin helps it get that crispy outside that everyone loves.
To give this chicken a great flavor, we use herbs, lemons and onions stuffed in the cavity of the bird. For more flavor we melted butter and added more spices, which is slathered all over the chicken. The skin gets a beautiful golden appearance when its done.
You can serve a roast chicken with mashed potatoes or rice. Add a vegetable like carrots or green beans and your meal is done.
- whole chicken
- sprigs rosemary
- sprigs thyme
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- dried thyme
- dried rosemary
Making the chicken
We have all the ingredients for our lovely roast chicken ready to go.
First, melt the butter and add the onion powder, garlic powder, dried thyme, and dried rosemary. Mix all these ingredients together and set aside.
Next step is to take any giblets out of the cavity, rinse and pat dry the entire chicken. Drying the chicken allows the skin to get crispy. Then, put the onion, lemon, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper into the cavity. Now, tie up the legs with some twin.
Now, take the butter mixture and spread it all over the chicken, legs and all. This will give you a nice, flavorful chicken. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper as well.
The finished chicken is really good. The skin is crisp and the meat is nice and juicy, not too dry. It goes great with mashed potatoes and gravy.Print
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 to 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hr. to 1 hr. and 10 minutes
- Category: chicken
- 5 lb. chicken
- ½ lemon
- ¼ onion
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 tsp. salt and some for the chicken
- ¾ tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsps. butter, melted
- ⅛ tsp. onion powder
- ⅛ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. dried rosemary
- preheat oven to 400ºF
- Take any giblets out of the chicken, then wash and pat it dry so the skin becomes crispy.
- In the chicken, put the lemon, onion, rosemary sprig, thyme sprig, salt, and pepper.
- Tie the legs together and tuck the wings under the bird.
- Mix the onion powder, garlic powder, dried thyme, and dried rosemary with the melted butter.
- Rub the butter mixture onto the chicken.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the chicken as well.
- Bake for about 50 minutes to 1 hour or till the juices run clear.
- Let the chicken sit for about 15-20 minutes.
- Slice or quarter up the chicken and serve with your favorite sides.
Spatchcocked Chicken with Vegetables(Opens in a new browser tab)
"Leave a Reply"