This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Sauerkraut and pork
Today is another day of keeping safe and staying indoors. We would like to say thanks to all of the people who deliver your groceries and work in the stores. They are truly important people in these times; making it easier for others and keeping face to face encounters at a minimum.
Today, we got a bag of sauerkraut from the store and found a pork roast in our freezer. Anne prefers pork and sauerkraut to a roast pork so we cut a large piece of pork off of the roast to use with the sauerkraut. You can just as easily used a pork chop or two.
To make this a quick and easy side dish, we will use the instant pot. This is such a great way of cooking; something that is really fast.
First, we put a little oil in the instant pot pan, about 1 Tablespoon. Then, put the piece of pork into the pot and sautéed it until it is browned on all sides.
After the pork chop is browned on all sides, add the pack of sauerkraut to the instant pot.
Really starting to look good! Just a few more things to add. Pour in the water, onions, brown sugar and those flavorful caraway seeds. It is really delicious with the caraway seeds; highly recommend putting these in your sauerkraut. You can leave them out if you want.
Put the top on the instant pot and set dial to pressure cooker and cook for 40 minutes. You can let the steam go down naturally or open it up to release the steam. You can also do this in a large pan and cook for a little longer or until the pork is done. You might have to add more water, but it will work just the same.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 large servings 1x
- Category: main meal
- 1 to 3 pork chops, depends on how much meat you want
- 1 bag sauerkraut
- ½ cup water
- ⅛ cup chopped onions
- ⅛ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
- In a large pan or instant pot, add 1 T. oil.
- Add the pork and brown all sides
- Add the sauerkraut, water, onions, brown sugar, and caraway seeds to the pot.
- When the liquid starts to boil, cover and simmer for about 1 hour. Check the pork to see if it is done.
- In the instant pot, press the sauté in instant pot pan and the cover and cook on pressure cook for 40 minutes.
- When done take pork from bone and add to the sauerkraut.
- Serving Size: 4 large
Keywords: Sauerkraut and pork