This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Who doesn't like ice cream? It's a delicious refreshing treat! We actually don't know anyone who doesn't like ice cream. The texture is creamy and the flavors seem endless now a days, so you can have practically any flavor you want.
The time of year for barbecues and playing outdoors is just around the corner. Actually since we live in Florida it is always ready for barbecue and ice cream. In our area the store had ice cream bogos (buy 1 get 1 free) so we bought plenty of ice cream. We also had plenty of chocolate sandwich cookies in the pantry so making this ice cream cake was a winner. We cleared room in the freezer and made a great desert. We used what we had in the house, but you can change the flavors to your favorites.
Ingredients for the Ice Cream Cake
We used Oreo cookies, three kinds of ice cream Heath bar bits, caramel syrup, chocolate syrup, and whipped cream (optional).
Chocolate cookie crust is a great choice for this ice cream cake. The chocolate sandwich cookies give it a crisp, chocolaty crust to hold the ice cream. Just freeze your crust for about half an hour before you add the ice cream so it is nice and chilled.
Before we put the cookie crust in the pan, we lined the pan with parchment and let the parchment hang over the sides of the pan for easy pick up.
While the cookie crust is freezing, take out the vanilla ice cream so that it will be soft enough to spread in the pan. Has anyone noticed that some microwave ovens have a soften butten for ice cream? Just noticed it. Actually, Travis discovered it awhile back; he is way more observant than I am.
The vanilla ice cream is soft and creamy; just perfect to add the cookie crumbs on top. Adding them now give them time to stick to the softened ice cream. When the crumbs are all spread on top of the ice cream, just pop in the freezer for about 2 hours or until the ice cream is set.
Now that the ice cream is nice and hard, it's time for the second layer of ice cream. Everyone had an idea about what kind of ice cream to use, so we settled on two different flavors. That way, everyone could have the flavor of their choice. One side of the pan was chocolate ice cream while the other side was covered in coffee ice cream. You can pick whatever your family wants.
Now to make the ice cream really delicious, drizzle caramel and chocolate syrup over the ice cream. You can drizzle away in any direction that you want; we just went back and forth.
Now, finish it off with a sprinkling of heath bar bits for a crunch and great flavor. When this is finished, just put it back into the freezer for another 2 hours or until the ice cream is hardened.
After several hours, take the ice cream cake out of the freezer and go around the edges with a knife to make sure the ice cream is not sticking. Then, lift it out of the pan with the extra parchment paper that is hanging over the side of your pan.
Just cut a square and add whipped cream, more caramel and chocolate syrup, and a little more heath bar bits on top. For even more goodness, top it with an Oreo cookie. Enjoy!
Ice cream cake
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Chocolate sandwich cookies for crust
- ½ gal. vanilla ice cream
- Oreo cookie crumbs
- 1 quart (¼ gal.) coffee ice cream
- 1 quart (¼ gal.) chocolate ice cream
- Butter brickle candy tidbits, for sprinkling on top
- Chocolate syrup
- Caramel syrup
- Whipped cream, optional
- Make chocolate cookie crust and press into a pan, freeze for 30 minutes.
- Soften the vanilla ice cream and spread it al over the chocolate cookie crust.
- Sprinkle the chocolate cookie crumbs all over the top of the vanilla ice cream.
- Put the ice cream cake back into the freezer for about 2 hours or until it is hard.
- Soften the coffee ice cream and the chocolate ice cream.
- Spread half of the cake with the chocolate ice cream and half with the coffee ice cream.
- Cover cake with Heath bar bits tidbits then the chocolate and caramel sauce.
- Freeze for another 2 hours, or until hard
- Cut into squares and top with whipped cream more Heath bar bits, and drizzle with the caramel and chocolate sauce. Enjoy
You can make this with any cookie crust and your own favorite flavor of ice cram and syrup.
- Serving Size: 12