This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Grilled cheese sandwiches
Grilled cheese sandwiches are always a favorite with the nice crusty texture of the bread and the gooey melted cheese inside. These are especially good with a nice hot bowl of tomato soup. The sandwiches that are in this recipe have a little something extra added to them to make them even more delicious. One has ham in the middle while another has bacon. Our favorite, however, has mayonnaise and a slice of tomato, fantastic. Try making these sometime and see which one is your favorite.
- 2 slices of sour dough bread *
- 2 thin slices of white American cheese *
- 2 thin slices of sharp cheddar cheese *
- 1 or 2 slices of thin ham (optional)
- 2 slices of bacon (optional)
- butter, softened
- Take 2 slices of good bread, I used sourdough because it always seems to get a nice crust. I spread the bread with softened butter, the butter helps to be soft, it won't rip the bread when you spread it. Set the one buttered side of the bread on top of the other buttered slice so both buttered slices are laying together.
- Then, add the two pieces of American cheese on the bread followed by two pieces of sharp cheddar cheese.
- Pick the one piece of bread up and set the bread with the cheese into the pan then put the other bread on top with the buttered side facing up.
- Cook in a pan over medium low heat and put the lid on the pan so the cheese will melt. After about 3 to 4 minutes check to see if the bread is browned. Turn the sandwich over and cook the same on the other. It might not take quite as long so just watch the color of the bread.
For ham and cheese: After you put two slices of cheese on the bread add a slice or two of ham, then add the other two slices of cheese.
For bacon and cheese: Just sandwich the bacon between the two kinds of cheese.
For the tomato and cheese: Spread mayonnaise on the unbuttered side of your bread, add the cheese with the tomato slices in the middle of the cheese.
*You can use any type of bread that you want for your sandwiches. The same is true with cheese, we used two flavors that we liked and they are always good.