This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
German Red Cabbage
German Red cabbage is a delicious sweet and sour dish that originates in Germany. The apples in the dish make it sweet and the vinegar slightly sour. We are going to go to Oktoberfest in a week and red cabbage is on the menu. There will be soft pretzels ,that we love. We are looking forward to the food. They will also be doing the chicken dance, who doesn't like that.
German red cabbage, known as Rotkohl in German, is a simple dish to prepare. It is packed with flavor and goes well as a side dish with Pork, Bratwurst, or Sauerbraten to name a few . Once you get the prep work done cutting an onion, 2 apples, and shredding the cabbage, it is really quick to put together.
Red cabbage is another dish that doesn't take long to make; that is always a good thing. If you prepare a few ingredients in the beginning, you only have to add and cook; not hard to do.
Making German Red Cabbage:
Put some canola oil in a large pan and when it starts to get hot, add your sliced onions and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the sliced apples to the onions in the pan and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
Now, it's time to add the red cabbage, sugar, vinegar, ground cloves and water to the mix. Let it come to a boil, then turn down the heat to simmer. Let it simmer for about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
When the cabbage is done, it has a sweet and sour taste; different from most cabbage which is pretty bland. This takes plain red cabbage to another level of taste, it is both sweet and sour. Give it a try and we hope you like it!
German Red Cabbage
- 2 T. oil
- ½ large onion
- 1 ½ sliced apples
- 1 medium head of red cabbage, sliced very thin
- ½ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground cloves
- ½ cup water
- In a large pan add 2 T. of oil
- Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes till they start getting a little soft.
- Add the apples and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes
- Add the cabbage, sugar, vinegar, salt and water to the pan.
- When the mixture starts to boil turn the heat down to low and simmer for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Tste to make sure it is soft enough.
- Watch and add more water if needed