This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Fried red tomatoes
Fried red tomatoes are a good side dish for any dinner. Especially in the summer,juicy red tomatoes off the vine are one of the best things that you can eat. They just taste so good. Fortunately, you can get really good tomatoes any time of year. Sometimes, however I find that they get a little too soft when they don't all get eaten right away. So a good way to use up these tomatoes is by making fried red tomatoes.You just have to season them and fry them up, putting a cream sauce made from the tomatoes adds an extra little something to them. I know the rule is fried green tomatoes, but these red tomatoes are really scrumptious. Give them a try sometime when you have an excess supply of red tomatoes.
- 4 medium tomatoes
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon. salt
- ¼ teaspoon. pepper
- 2 tablespoons. oil
- 1 tablespoon. butter
- 1 cup milk
- Slice each tomato into 4 nice size slices and salt and pepper them.
- On a plate mix together the flour, alt, and pepper and set aside.
- In a large saute or frying pan melt the butter and oil.
- Dredge your tomatoes in the flour mixture and keep the excess flour. Put the tomatoes into the pan of oil and fry until golden brown on one side then flip them over and do the same to the other. If the pan becomes too dry add a little more oil and butter.
- When browned take them out of the pan and place them on a plate while you make the sauce.
- Add about two tablespoons of the seasoned flour to the oil in the pan and stir till incorporated. Then take one cup of milk and stir till smooth and bubbly. Serve on top of the tomatoes.