This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
This easy pot roast recipe is a delicious weeknight meal. You put everything in a dutch oven and let it cook till it is nice and tender.
Great weeknight meal
This easy pot roast recipe makes a great meal during the week. We consider it a weeknight meal because it doesn't take a lot of time to get the rump roast braising in the oven. It is a one-pot dish that is always a favorite comfort meal in our household.
How to prep the roast
Most of the work is at the beginning, so all you have to do is brown the meat, add a few ingredients, and let it cook for hours till tender perfection. Just add some carrots and potatoes, if you want, 1 hour to 30 minutes before the roast is done and your meal is finished!
Do you need anything else to round out this dinner?
Not necessary, but a nice cold side salad is fantastic with almost any meal! We like to serve it with thousand island dressing. There is also the rich gravy to think about. A crusty loaf of bread goes well here; it sops up all of that deliciousness. These are about all you need for a great dinner!
What to do with leftovers
You can keep the leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or you could use the leftovers to create a great pot roast sandwich, which is as good the next day.
Ingredients to make this Easy Pot Roast
- Rump roast
- Black pepper
- Dried thyme
- Dried rosemary
- Canola oil
- Celery stalks
- Beef broth
- Carrots (optional)
- potatoes (optional)
Making the Pot Roast
First, mix the flour, salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary together, to give the roast that delicious flavor.
Sprinkle the flour all over the roast and pat it in to coat the meat. This helps the meat brown and hold in moisture while baking.
Add butter and oil to a dutch oven or any large pan that can be put into the oven, and wait for the butter and oil to melt and get hot. Now, add the roast and brown on all sides.
Take the meat out of the pan after it is browned, and add the celery and onion to the pot and cook till soft, about 2 minutes. Now, put the roast back into the pan and add the water and beef broth. Bring to a boil, then cover and put into the oven.
Cook the roast in a 375ºF oven for about 3-4 hours; it depends on how big the roast is, or until it is fork tender. If the liquid gets too low while cooking, just add a little more water or beef broth or a mixture of the two.
About 1 hour before the roast is done, add the carrots to the pan. You can also add some cut up potatoes, if you like, and cook in the pan juices for another hour.
Making the gravy
To make the gravy, take the roast and carrots out of the pan and pour the liquid out and measure 3 cups. For 3 cups of liquid, add 6 tablespoons of butter in the bottom of the pan and mix 6 Tablespoons of flour into the butter. Now, add the 3 cups of liquid and bring to a boil. Just add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.Print
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4-5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hr. 10 mins.
- Yield: 4 pounds 1x
- Category: beef, dinner
- Method: braising
- Cuisine: American
- 4-pound rump roast
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. dried rosemary
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced into ½-inch pieces
- 2 cups water
- 6 cups beef broth
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- Mix the flour with salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary then rub it into the rump roast on all sides.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, melt the butter and oil
- Brown the roast on all sides, then take it out of the pan.
- Add the onions and celery and brown for about 1 minute
- Put the roast back into the pan and add the water and beef broth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then put it into a 375ºF oven.
- Bake for about 3 hours or until it feels tender when sticking it in the center with a fork (you can add carrots to the mix about ½ hour before you are ready to eat).
- When the roast and carrots are tender, take them out of the pan and set aside.
- Pour the liquid out of the pan and add 6 tablespoons of butter and melt, then add the 6 tablespoons of flour and mix until it is completely blended together. Now, add the liquid back to the pan and mix until it comes to a boil. Boil for about 1 minute.
- Slice the meat and serve with the vegetables and gravy.
Keywords: easy pot roast recipe
Pork tenderloins with peppers and onions(Opens in a new browser tab)
"Leave a Reply"