This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Easy Pepper steak is a delicious asian dish that is always a hit at our house. It is basically meat, peppers, and onions with a nice, tasty sauce. You can have all your ingredients prepared like you do for a stir fry and it is a sinch to make!
Ingredients for Easy Pepper Steak:
- Top of the round steak or top sirloin steak, cut into strips
- Vegetable oil
- Garlic salt
- Black pepper
- Onions, cut into petals
- Minced garlic
- Soy sauce
- Beef broth
- Peppers, green, red, or both, cut into strips
- White or brown Rice
Making the Pepper Steak:
Making pepper steak starts by cutting the meat into thin slices; if using top of the round, cut across the grain. Next, use a saute pan or a wok and add a little vegetable oil to the pan and let it get hot, about 1 to 2 minutes. Next, add the beef, onions, salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Cook these ingredients until the meat is nicely browned and cooked through.
Next, add the beef broth and soy sauce and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until the meat is tender; it will take a shorter amount of time if using sirloin steak.
Almost finished, add the peppers, red, green or both and cook for about 3 to 6 minutes or until mostly tender. While that is cooking, in a bowl, add the cold water and cornstarch and mix together. Dump the cornstarch slurry into the meat mixture and bring to a boil. Cook for about 1 minut or until thickened.
Now you are done! Serve the pepper steak over rice, such as white or brown and enjoy!Print
Easy Pepper Steak
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: beef
- 1 lb. top of the round or top sirloin steak
- 1 ½ tsp. vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp. garlic salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup onions, petal sliced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 20 oz. beef broth
- 1 pepper, green, red, or mixed
- 1 ½ Tbsp. cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp. cold water
- Cooked rice, such as white or brown for serving
- In a skillet or wok over medium-high heat, heat the vegetable oil for about 1-2 minutes.
- To the pan or wok, add the meat, onions, garlic salt, black pepper, and salt. Cook until the meat is cooked.
- Add the soy sauce and beef broth and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat, cover and simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Add the peppers, green, red, or mixed, and cook till slightly tender, about 4-7 minutes.
- In a bowl, add the cold water and cornstarch.
- Add the cornstarch mix to the meat mixture and bring it back to a boil. Simmer and stir until thickened.
- Serve over white or brown rice.