This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
This easy, cheesy sloppy joe recipe has a great, meaty taste and it's loaded with a great tomatoey flavor. It is a classic sandwich that is loved by kids and adults alike!
These easy, cheesy sloppy joes are savory and loaded with beefy goodness. They have a great taste and the drippy messy sandwich is what it is all about. We have made these for years and years and they are still a family favorite. Everyone has their own favorite since this sandwich has been around for a very long time.
When we say family favorite, it is not just the taste, but the quickness in which you can make this sandwich come together. It takes about 10 minutes to brown the meat, then, add the rest of the ingredients and heat up. There...Done! It takes less than 20 minutes. What person doesn't love that once in a while?
We know once in a while someone doesn't want a sloppy joe, so you can easily use some of the beef for our bacon cheeseburger or if not in the mood for beef at all, our ham and cheese sliders are great.
Sides for the sloppy joe sandwiches:
- French fries
- Tater tots
- Cole slaw
- Onion rings
- A side of pickle chips
- Ground beef- We used 7% fat, but any ground beef will do.
- Chopped Onions- Adds a great sweet and savory flavor to the meat.
- Tomato soup- We always have a can of this in the pantry.
- Ketchup- Adds more tomato flavor.
- Mustard- Yellow mustard is standard in these sloppy joes.
- Garlic powder- Just a hint of garlic for added flavor.
- American cheese- To top off the beef.
- Hamburger buns- We used martins sandwich rolls.
Making the sandwiches:
We used a cast iron pan to make these meaty sandwiches, but any saucepan will do. To the pan, add the ground beef and the chopped onions. Cook the mixture until the meat is all cooked through.
When the mixture is done, just add the rest of the ingredients, except the cheese and buns, and cook until everything is heated, about 5 to 8 minutes. This easy cheesy sloppy Joe sandwich is that fast.
Place the meat on the bottom side of the buns and top with a slice of cheese, and serve these delicious sandwiches with some fries and cole slaw for a great meal.Print
Easy cheesy Sloppy Joe recipe
- Prep Time: 3minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 28 minutes
- Yield: 9 sandwiches 1x
- Category: sandwich
- Method: pan
- Cuisine: American
- 1 ½ pounds of ground beef
- ¼ cup of chopped onions
- 1 ½ cans of tomato soup
- 1 ¼ teaspoons of yellow mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon of garlic powder
- 9 slices of American cheese, or cheese of your choice, enough for each sandwich
- 9 Hamburger buns
- In a pan, add the ground beef and the onions. Cook until the ground beef is well done, it takes about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain any liquid in the pan.
- Add the tomato soup, mustard, ketchup, and garlic powder. Cook until all heated through, about 15 minutes.
- Now put as much of the mixture as you want onto a hamburger bun.
- Top the meat with a slice of yellow American cheese and enjoy with sides such as french fries and cole slaw.