This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Shortcake biscuits are the ideal dessert on a hot sunny day. They are quick to make and you just top them with some luscious strawberries or peaches and freshly made whipped cream. To make them even better, top them again with another mound of fresh sweet whipped cream!
Making shortcake biscuits take about 10 minutes to put together and get into the oven. While they are cooking, you can clean the berries or peel the peaches. We like to add a Tablespoon of sugar to the fruit so that they get a little extra juice to spoon onto the biscuits.
These are great for a barbecue because you can just set everything out and people can make their own. Less work for you and more time for fun!
Ingredients for the shortcakes:
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Cold Butter
Making the shortcake biscuits:
Shortcake biscuits for dessert take a short time to make (no pun intended 🤭). You just add all of the dry ingredients to a bowl and mix. Then, add the cold butter to the dry ingredient and cut up using a pastry cutter or 2 knives; you can even use your clean hands to crumble up the butter. When done, this should look like crumbs so the butter can hold up in the biscuits.
Shortcake biscuits have small pieces of butter all through the flour. It is time to add the buttermilk and cream. Pour them into the mix and, with a fork, push it around until it can form a ball. Now, roll it out to about ¾ inch thick; you can see all the butter in the dough when you roll it out.
Cut the dough with a biscuit cutter and place it on a tray lined with parchment paper. Then, bake in the oven at 450ºF for 10 to 12 minutes; they should be golden brown. We made 10 biscuits from the dough, but you can make them a little thicker or thinner depending on how you like your shortcakes. Some people like fewer biscuits and more fruit; the choice is yours. Spread some more cream on the tops of the biscuits and sprinkle them with sugar.
Top the shortcake biscuits with your favorite toppings. We used sliced strawberries and peaches. We also added about a tablespoon of sugar to each bowl of berries. Also, we had some homemade whipped cream to top the shortcakes off.Print
Shortcake biscuits or dessert
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 10 biscuits 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- 2 cups Flour
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 9 Tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- ¾ cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- In a bowl, add the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and mix.
- When mixed, add the chilled butter and mix with a pastry blender or 2 knives, until the mix is like small crumbs.
- Next, add the buttermilk and cream. Mix with a fork until it all comes together.
- On a board, knead the dough together, about 6 times.
- Roll out to about ¾ of an inch and cut with a biscuit cutter.
- Set on parchment paper and brush a little extra cream on the top of the shortbread biscuits and sprinkle with some sugar.
- Bake at 450ºF for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden.