This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Creamed Corn is a popular side item for barbecues, especially in Texas, when I (Travis) have lived for a brief time in my life. Despite its name, some creamed corn recipes don't use cream at all, but this one does. Using frozen bagged corn makes this recipe much easier than using fresh corn, but it is still delicious. Corn is naturally sweet, but adding sugar brings out more of the sweet corn taste. We use masa harina, a very finely ground cornmeal, as a thickener instead of flour because... well, it just makes sense to use it in a corn dish! Plus, it has bacon in it as well, if you decide to use it.
Like we said, you don't need to use bacon, but anyways put diced bacon in a medium saucepan and cook till crispy.
Take out the bacon bits and set them aside in a small bowl or plate, but reserve the bacon grease in the pan.
Add the cream to the pan and cook until warm (this is where you start if you are not using bacon).
Once warm, add the cream cheese and butter to the pan and mix until they are melted and come together.
Whisk sugar and masa marina together in a bowl.
Then, add them to the cream mixture and mix.
Now, add the frozen corn to the pot and mix.
Don't forget to add the water.
Give it a mix again and cook until it is warm again, in order to heat up the frozen corn.
Once heated, mix in the bacon you set aside, if you made it.
Then, add freshly ground salt and black pepper to taste and mix one more time.
Now, just pour it into a bowl and spoon it next to your meal. Enjoy!Print
Creamed Corn with Bacon
- 2 strips bacon, diced (optional)
- reserved bacon grease (optional)
- ½ C. heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 oz. cream cheese, cubed
- 1.5 T. sugar
- 1.5 T. masa harina
- 1 10 oz. bag frozen corn kernels
- ¼ C. water
- freshly ground salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- If using bacon, cook diced bacon in a large pan over mid-high heat until crispy. Take out bacon and set aside. Leave the drippings in the pan. Otherwise, skip to next step.
- Add the heavy cream and heat until it is warm. Then, add the butter and cream cheese to the pan and let melt.
- In a small bowl, whisk the sugar and masa harina together, then add to cream mixture and mix.
- Add the bag of frozen corn, while still frozen.
- Add the water and mix. Heat until warm.
- Add the bacon back in the corn (if using) and mix.
- Season with ground salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and mix.
- Serve as a side with your favorite meal.