This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Chocolate by itself is delicious, but a deep chocolate ice cream satisfies chocolate and ice cream lovers both. This ice cream is made with dark cocoa, unsweetened chocolate and semi sweet chocolate. Therefore, there is plenty of chocolate to give you that delicious chocolaty taste you want.
Our ice cream uses a custard base, meaning we use egg yolks in our ice cream. This gives the ice cream a nice, thick, creamy taste.
Making the ice cream:
We set all the ingredients out so they are easy to grab.
To start, we take the cream, milk, half and half, salt, and cocoa powder and put it into a saucepan. Then, it is mixed well with a whisk. The milk mixture should come to a hot temperature, but it shouldn't boil.
Next, in a mixer, add the egg yolks and whip them till they become a lite color.
When they are a lite color, add the sugar and whip until they become thick and a light yellow color.
Now, it is time to temper the eggs. Add some of the hot chocolate milk mixture to the egg mixture a little at a time. When you have enough of the hot mixture added, both mixtures should be about the same temperature.
You can now add the egg mixture back to the milk mixture in the pan and cook it until it coats the back of a metal spoon
Now, it is time to add the rest of the chocolate to the mixture. Adding more chocolate, never enough chocolate.
Now, add the vanilla and mix together.
Strain the mixture through a strainer, just in case there are any cooked egg in the mixture. Probably not since the eggs were tempered, but it's better safe than sorry.
Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight, then put the base into an ice cream machine (following your ice cream maker's instructions).
The ice cream is ready to eat, if you're a soft serve lover, but if you prefer hard ice cream, stick it in the freezer for at least 6 hours or overnight. Enjoy!
Since you made some homemade ice cream, why not make some easy to make waffle cones? They're really a treat!Print
Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 3 T. dark cocoa
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 oz. semi sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- In a medium size pan, add the whole milk, the ½ and ½, the heavy cream, salt, and cocoa and mix together.
- Put the egg yolks into a mixing bowl and whip until a lite color.
- Add the sugar to the egg yolks and whip until the mixture is thick and lite.
- When the milk mixture gets hot but not boiling add a little bit at a time to the egg mixture. Make sure to add a little at a time so the temperature gets to the same temperature as the milk mixture.
- Put back into the milk pan and cook until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Add the unsweetened chocolate and the semi sweet chocolate to the mix and stir until all combined.
- Add the vanilla and mix.
- Strain the mixture and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Add to an ice cream machine and churn for about 2o minutes. Serve in a bowl or some ice cream cones and enjoy!