This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Chicken Pot Pie
- Prep Time: 35 mins.
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 small pies 1x
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 5 Tbsp. flour
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- ⅓ cup half and half
- ⅓ cup cream
- ¼ tsp. salt
- pinch of white pepper
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 large potato or 2 small potatoes, cooked
- 2 carrots, cooked and sliced
- ½ cup peas
- 1 pie crust, cut in half
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. half and half or water
- Cook chicken in water with 1 chicken cube, cut up.
- Cut up potatoes in medium size cubes and let water come to a boil, then simmer for about 12-15 minutes, till soft. Then, drain the potatoes in a separate bowl.
- Cook up some peas and set aside.
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, then add the flour and stir for about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth and cook over medium high till it comes to a boil.
- Add both the half and half and the chicken broth. Lower the heat and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper and stir.
- In 2 oven proof containers, add some of the sauce till it coats the whole bottom.
- Next, add some potatoes in each container, then the carrots, peas, chicken and more sauce to fill up the containers.
- With a fork, mix the ingredients all together.
- Top each with a layer of crust.
- Take an egg with about 1 Tbsp. half and half or water and make an egg wash using a fork.
- Brush the egg wash onto the pie crust.
- Bake in the oven at 425ºF for about 12 minutes.
- Spoon the pie on a plate or eat right out of the container.
Chicken Pot Pie
When it’s cold outside, you want something warm and comforting to make you feel good. When you have had a bad day and everything isn’t going the way you want it, you need something to make you feel good. There is nothing better to do the trick than a plate of your favorite comfort food. Comfort foods seem to always make your problems go away.
One of the best comfort foods is a nice individual serving of Chicken pot pie. It is loaded with chicken, potatoes, carrots, peas, and a delicious cream sauce. It’s the kind of food that made you feel great when you were a kid. Every bite just made you want another and another until it was all gone. Remember those days?
Ingredients for chicken pie:
This is a delicious recipe that is easy to make, but you can switch some of the ingredients to make it even easier. It's up to you.
To start with, make a single pie crust or you can buy a frozen one at the store already made. You just have to thaw it out in the fridge for a while and it is ready to go. Pretty easy and gives you one less step to do. We made the pie crust then wrapped it up and put in the refrigerator until time to use it. Can make this early in the morning.
Now you want to get your ingredients together and this is another step in which you can use some quick ingredient to make your dinner come together faster. We took two chicken breasts and cooked them in some water with one chicken cube for about 20 minutes. The chicken cube adds a little more flavor to the chicken. This is where another shortcut can come in, just buy a rotisserie chicken, and use as much meat as you want in your chicken pie.
Next, we took two potatoes, peeled them, and cut them up in medium size cubes and threw them into a pot of water, let them come to a boil and cooked for about 12 to 16 minutes or until fork tender.
The next ingredient was to take two carrots, peel them, cut them into pieces, and cook them in water with a teaspoon of sugar for added sweetness. You can also buy the small carrots that are already peeled and cook them for a little while, eliminating more peeling. Whichever you prefer is still good. Cook the carrots for about 8 to 15 minutes depending on the carrot, you just what them fork tender.
The peas we used were just the microwavable kind, but you can use a can of peas or leftover peas that you have. You can even add a pack of mixed vegetables if you like to your pie.
Now to make the delicious creamy sauce to put all your other ingredients into. Really simple to make; just melt the butter in a pan, then add the flour and mix for about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and let it come to a boil, turn down the heat a little and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes or until it thickens. Now, add the half and half and the cream; cook till it gets hot about 1 more minute. Add the salt and pepper to the mix and your sauce is ready.
In an oven proof bowl or chicken pie dish, add a little bit of the sauce.
In the dish, add the potatoes.
Now, add the carrots on top of the potatoes.
Add the peas to the potatoes and carrots.
Now, top with the cooked chicken chicken.
Now, top off the mix with the sauce.
Now, just mix it all together till everything is coated with the sauce.
Roll out the crust and put onto the pie and cut slits in the crust.
Mix together an egg and about 1 tablespoon of cream or milk then brush onto the top of the pie crust.
Bake at 4ooºF for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden.
Now you are ready to eat your chicken pot pies. each pie is an individual serving. Spoon it out onto a plate or eat it right out of the bowl!