This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
When we were looking at the ways to make short ribs, we realized that many short rib recipes were either barbecued on the grill or braised in a pot. So we thought... why not combine both? It has the bbq sauce and liquid smoke that you find in barbecued ribs, while it also has vegetables and wine that you find in braised ribs. When short ribs are braised, they become unbelievably tender. Searing the ribs on the grill not only gives them more of that grilled flavor, but it also allows you to grill all the ribs at once as opposed to searing them in the pan in multiple batches.
First, you rinse and season the short ribs with some freshly ground salt and black pepper in a large bowl.
Once the ribs are seasoned, place on a preheated grill set on medium-high heat.
You want to make sure you sear them on all for sides, like this. Searing them on the grill makes you able to brown the ribs all at once as opposed to browning them in small batches with oil in the pot. Plus, it gives them a grilled steak like flavor!
Once seared, place the ribs back into the bowl and set aside once the braising liquid is done.
Using a large ovenproof pot over medium high heat , heat up the olive oil slightly, then add the butter.
Wait for it to melt as shown here.
Add the onions, celery, and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, stir frequently.
Once browned, gradually sprinkle the flour and mix until incorporated, about 30 seconds.
Then, add the red wine and about 1 cups worth of the beef broth. You want to boil off some of the alcohol. Let cook for about 2 minutes.
Add the remaining beef broth along with the bbq sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, and oregano. Bring to a simmer once more.
Add the mushrooms, then the short ribs, and finally, the bay leaves. Submerge the short ribs as much as possible.
Cover the pot with a lid and cook in a preheated 350°F oven for 3 hours.
This is what it should look like once it is don cooking. The gravy is reduced slightly and the ribs should be incredibly tender. Don't forget to remove the bay leaves though.
However, there will be grease on top of the gravy, so, remove all of the ribs with some tongs and skim off the grease. We used some paper towels.
Now, serve the short ribs with your favorite sides, here we have roasted potatoes, peas and carrots, and a popover. Also, we garnished the short ribs with crumbled bacon and parsley. Buon Appetite!Print
BBQ Braised Short Ribs
- Prep Time: 45 mins.
- Cook Time: 3 hrs.
- Total Time: 3 hrs. 45 mins.
- Yield: about 4-6 Servings 1x
- Method: grilling, braising
- 4 lb. (about 16) short ribs, 3 inches long
- freshly ground salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 T. butter
- 1 whole onion, 1 inch cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ C. (about 1 large stalk) celery, chopped
- ¼ C. all purpose flour
- ¾ C. red wine
- 5 C. (4 cans) beef broth
- ⅔ C. bbq sauce
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 1 T. worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp. liquid smoke
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 8 oz. (1 small package) cremini mushrooms, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- crumbled bacon for garnish
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Spray and preheat grill over medium-high heat.
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Sear the short ribs on the grill on all sides. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- In a large pot over medium high heat, add oil and heat up slightly. Then, add the butter to the pan and wait for the it to melt.
- Add onions, celery and garlic and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir until it is thoroughly mixed and coating the vegetables, about 30 seconds.
- Add the wine and about 1 cup of the beef broth and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining beef broth, bbq sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, and oregano to the pot. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the mushrooms, short ribs and bay leaves to the pot.
- Cover and roast in oven for 3 hours.
- Once done, skim off the fat on top and remove bay leaves.
- Serve garnished with crumbled bacon and chopped parsley.