This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
Nothing like a big muffin for breakfast with a cup of coffee or a glass of milk! This just starts the day off with a happy feeling, and you can get to work in a good mood. Well, maybe you are not in the mood for getting up early and going to work, but you will still have that happy feeling.
The center of these apple cake muffins are filled with what else; chopped apples, sugar, and cinnamon. The fruity flavor comes through with these muffins to make them one of our family's favorites.
To make these apple cake muffins, you just deal with three stages of the muffin. First is the apples, second is the crumb topping, and third the batter in which the ingredients are all whipped together.
Peel the apples; we used 3 large apples and core them, then chop them into pieces so that they will fit in the muffin cups.
Next, add the cinnamon and sugar to a skillet and turn the heat to medium low. Now, add your apples and let them cook, stirring them from time to time until they are semi soft (It takes about 10 minutes). Then, take off the stove and let them cool a little while you make the crumb topping.
Mix the sugars, salt, butter, and flour together with a fork to get big chunky crumbs. Then set aside while you make the batter.
Just take the muffin mixture and put all of the ingredients into a mixer, and mix for 3 to 4 minutes until fully incorporated. The mixture will be sticky when it is finished.
Fill the muffin cups halfway with the muffin mixture.
Add the chopped apples to the muffin cups.
Cover the apples with the rest of the muffin mixture.
Add the crunchy sugar crumb topping to the muffins, use every last bit, they are sooooo good.
Delicious apple muffins right out of the oven. They taste better when you let them sit and have a cold glass of milk with them.
Apple cake muffins
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 12 large muffins 1x
- Category: Muffins
- 3 large apples-sliced and cut into thirds
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup flour
- 6 T. butter, melted
- 3 cups flour
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- 2 ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 4 eggs
- Set oven to 350ºF.
- Line 12 large muffin cups with large liners.
- Put the sugar and cinnamon in a pan and mix together. Now, add the apples pieces. Keep the pan on low heat until the sugar melts and the apples are coated. Put a lid on the pan and when the apples are soft, take off the stove and let sit.
- Now, make the crumb topping so that it is ready after the muffin mixture is finished.
- Make the crumb topping by mixing the sugar, salt, and flour all together. Next, add the melted butter and mix together with a fork. Let sit until you are ready for it.
- In a mixer, add all of the muffin ingredients and mix until fully incorporated about 3 minutes. The mix will be thick.
- In the muffin cups, add half of the batter mixture.*
- Next, add some of the apples to each cup.
- When this is done, add the rest of the batter to the muffin pans covering the apples.
- Now, add those delicious crumbs to the top of the muffins.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. Test them with a toothpick or cake tester to see if they come out clean with no sticky batter on it.
*We find that spraying two spoons with pam makes it easier to get the muffin batter into the liners.
Keywords: Apple muffins