This post contains affiliate links. Click on the link to see our disclosure here.
A tasty fried chicken sandwich topped with mayonnaise and lettuce. Great meal for the entire family.
The perfect fried chicken sandwich
This fried chicken sandwich is every bit as good or better than the ones you buy outside. It's crispy and packed with great flavor. At home, you have the option of topping your sandwich with whatever you want, whether it's coleslaw or sriracha sauce or a simple mayo and lettuce with sides. Sure, fried chicken takes more time grilling it on a barbecue, but the taste is amazing. Your family will ask you to make this many times; we know ours love it!
- Chicken breasts
- Hot sauce
- Garlic powder
- Baking powder
- Oil, we used Canola oil
Prepping the chicken:
Some people use the chicken breast the way it is, but we like the chicken to be a bit thin so that the chicken all cooks evenly. If the chicken piece is really thick, we cut the chicken piece in half. Sometimes, the chicken piece isn't very thick, except in the one spot. We usually either pound it flatter with a rolling pin or a wine bottle, or we just slice the thicker piece off and add it to a chicken tenders bag for later use.
Making the marinade for the fried chicken:
We start our chicken by marinating it in buttermilk, which makes the chicken more tender and juicy. We just do this for about 3 hours, but 2 hours will do. To the buttermilk, we add some hot sauce; we used Tabasco sauce, but you can use whatever kind you like. We only added 1 teaspoon, because some of the family doesn't like a lot of heat. You can always leave it out or add extra, if you like the heat. You can put the chicken pieces in a ziplock bag or a bowl; whatever covers all of the chicken.
Preparing to make the fried chicken:
Get a large pan to fry the chicken in. We like to use a large dutch oven. We fill the pan with oil half way up, depending on how much chicken you are frying. You can always add more if you need too, just make sure the temperature gets to 350ºF.
Now, get out 3 bowls and a plate for your chicken. In two of the bowls, add the flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and baking powder, then mix till well combined. Now, in the other bowl, add the rest of the buttermilk with more hot sauce and mix. Again, you can add more hot sauce, if you like. We use an extra bowl of flour mix because the flour can get full of crumbs and it is just easier to have an extra bowl of flour mix to redip.
Making the fried chicken sandwich:
Turn your oven on to warm to keep your chicken warm while some of the pieces are cooking. We put our oven to 250ºF, so that the chicken remain really warm and stays crispy.
Take one piece of chicken from the marinade and dip into one of the bowls of flour mixture, shake off some of the flour, and dip into the new buttermilk bowl. Now, once again, place that piece of chicken into the other bowl of flour. Place on the plate until you have the remaining chicken pieces ready.
When the oil reaches 350ºF, place a piece of chicken into the oil. Don't put too many pieces in all at once; they need room to get crispy. The internal temperature of the chicken pieces should be 165ºF. When they are done, place the chicken pieces on a sheet pan covered in aluminum foil with a rack on it. If you don't have this, just place them on a plate lined with paper towels. Put them in an oven to keep warm until all of the chicken is finished.
Assembling your sandwich:
Take your favorite bun or bread; we used a potato roll. Spread mayonnaise on one side of the bun; you can use flavored mayonnaise, if you like. Then, add a piece of chicken and lettuce and you're done! Like we said, this is your time to add your favorites; could be pickles, tomatoes, cole slaw, or whatever you like. Have fun creating your favorite fried chicken sandwich!Print
Fried Chicken Sandwich
- Prep Time: 3 hours and 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 3 hours and 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 sandwiches 1x
- Category: chicken
- Method: frying
- 4 cups Buttermilk, divided
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, plus more for later
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ Tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Hamburger bun,optional
- mayonnaise, optional
- Lettuce, optional
- Place 6 chicken breasts in a zip lock bag or a large bowl and add 1 cup of the buttermilk and the hot sauce. You can add more hot sauce if you like, or less. Mix until combined and place in the refrigerator for about 3-4 hours.
- Now, put a large pan or Dutch oven on the stove and fill it halfway up with oil. Bring the temperature to 350ºF and no higher while you prepare the chicken.
- Take two bowls large enough to hold the chicken breasts and fill each of the bowls with half of the dry ingredients: Flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and baking powder, and mix.
- Take 1 more bowl and add the rest of the buttermilk and more hot sauce and mix to combine.
- Now, take a chicken breast out of the marinade and dip it into one of the flour mixtures, then into the buttermilk mixture, then into the second bowl of flour. Set on a wire rack or a plate until all of the chicken breasts are coated and the temperature of the oil reaches 350ºF.
- Take the chicken out of the oil when it is golden brown and place it on a rack or plate. The temperature of the chicken should be 165ºF to be done.
- Put the chicken in a warm oven; we set it to 250ºF to keep it warm and crispy until all of the chicken is done.
- Take a roll and spread it with mayonnaise, then add the chicken piece and a piece of lettuce and serve with side items such as french fries. Enjoy!
Keywords: A great fried chickensandwich
Pork Chop Chicken(Opens in a new browser tab)
Grilled Marinated Chicken(Opens in a new browser tab)
"Leave a Reply"